Saturday, October 24, 2009

What!!?

I sat down this morning to have my quiet time and I came across a story that caught me a little off guard. I have been reading through Acts over the past few weeks and studying the initial coming of the Holy Spirit, the Saul/Paul conversion, the stoning of Steven etc.

I came across the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch today, and after reading it through I went back to read it again. After reading it again I (this is not an exaggeration) sat straight up, looked around and then up at God and said what?! I forgot to mention that I also have a NIV study bible which I love, because I love to see the commentary on the scriptures, whether its for historical, theological or application purposes. I especially enjoy having ‘said commentary’ when I read something that I want a second interpretation of. You know what I’m talking about. You’re cruising through a chapter and then all of the sudden you start stumbling on some things and you’re like what in the world does “your teeth are like a flock of sheep mean” ?

Well, I had one of those today. I was flying through the story of Philip and the eunuch ( a story I have probably read more than 5 times) until I hit my face on a brick wall. In a panic I scrambled to the bottom of the page to see if the commentators were going to bail me out of this jam but I had no such luck. It was in this moment, almost out of sheer shock (as well as hilarity) that I sat up and had a word with my savior.

Now, those of you familiar with the story know that we’ve got good ole’ Philip just chillin, talking w/ Jesus when all of the sudden the Spirit’s like “Hey Philip, I want you to do something for me.” “I want you to walk down this desert road from Jerusalem to Gaza.”

Let’s hold up there for a sec. Sometimes I wish the bible included more of the responses of the apostles, or anyone for that matter, to God when he makes his demands. I wish this strictly out of my own curiosity of course. I just always wonder if Philip might have answered with something like “Really? Ummm, you want me to go right now God?” “It’s kind of getting dark, and it’s enchilada night ,and the game’s about to start, and YOU know I don’t have Tivo...”

Anyway, sorry for that tangent, just stuff that gets moved around in my brain.
So, continuing on, Philip gets up and starts walking when he comes across this Ethiopian eunuch who is reading scripture in a chariot. After reading through some scripture together, Philip is able to open up his heart about Jesus and share with the eunuch the good news of his salvation. After a while of traveling down the road they come to some water and the Ethiopian asks to be baptized. So Philip honors the man’s request and baptizes him. Now here’s where it gets screwy.


Acts 8:39-40

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip , however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Ceasarea.


Ok what?! Does this jump out to anyone else that God just teleported this guy! And not only that but the eunuch just comes out of the water, shrugs his shoulders and goes on rejoicing. I don’t know why this was so crazy and funny to me but it was. haha love you guys.


Until next time,

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment