Tuesday, November 23, 2010

giving thanks by giving music

This year has been incredible, as well as incredibly hard.  I thought these lyrics were fitting to share during this time of thankfulness, because it all starts with what God has done.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus, His righteousness
When all around my soul gives way
I will trust in Jesus name

(from One Sonic Society's 'In Jesus Name')

I heard a statement recently from a pastor that has rocked me in the thankfulness arena.  He said 'the blessing of God is that we (in Christ) get God, everything else is grace upon grace'.  If that doesn't stir up a heart of gratitude than I don't know what will! 

Anyways, I wanted to give thanks this year by giving music.  Here's a free track from my new album 'Heartbreak and Chainfall'.  My prayer is that it stirs up some 'thanks giving' for you.  


'The Name of Jesus' was written with great inspiration from a sermon preached by Dr. James MacDonald.  When I was at Harvest U (the annual conference held by Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago, IL) this April, Dr. MacDonald delivered the final message of the conference from the book of Revelation.  In the message he constantly reiterated the truth of the transcendence of Jesus Christ and how one day EVERYONE, believer or atheist will bow before His Lordship as the King of kings.  This truth instilled in me (as it always does when I actually sit down and think about it) a great sense of fear and trembling.  What power and authority! But along with the fear and awe, the message stirred up within me praise and joy, not only that I knew this Jesus, but that He purchased me on the cross and washed me clean!  He is my victory and my defender.  Needless to say, it was a good sermon :) And it was out of that sermon that this song was birthed. 


Here are the lyrics:

Jesus, Your name has stood through all the ages with an unending fame
Jesus, Your name consumes all of our praises
What can stand up to Your name?

For high above time and space the Name of names is seated
For there is none, there is none above the name of Jesus

Majesty, wisdom, and might are all Yours alone
All glory ascribed, and the nations will bow at the transcendent power of Your name

Jesus, the knees will bow and tongues confess that You're the King of kings
Jesus, the darkness runs and evil trembles
Your name is victory

For high above time and space the Name of names is seated
For there is none, there is none above the name of Jesus

Majesty, wisdom, and might are all Yours alone
All glory ascribed, and the nations will bow at the transcendent power of Your name

In all heaven and earth there's no greater name
Creation sings it out, we'll join in the refrain (x4)

Majesty, wisdom, and might are all Yours alone
All glory ascribed, and the nations will bow at the transcendent power of Your name

and the nations will bow at the transcendent power of Your name

lyrics by Jason Dunton
copyright Basilea Music 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment