Friday, January 21, 2011

Carpet Cleaning and the Grace of God.

I love my bulldog, I really do.  But he has (well had) a problem. Actually he has multiple problems but this post is only about this particular one.  Now before you're like "O- M -G what's wrong with him?" let me clarify by saying that this is a very common problem, it's not like he steals money or eats his own foot, so take a deep breath.

Ok, here it goes... he has (until quite recently) had a problem with going to the bathroom in the house.  I have had him for a little over year now and despite my use of several methods I couldn't get him to stop one and two-ing all over the place.  Every time I would think that he was FINALLY house trained, we would go visit friends or family.  Apparently you can't visit other peoples homes without temporarily losing your mind along with your facilities.  I'm speaking for both me and my dog on this one.  Just kidding, but seriously there was one incident with a shag throw-rug in one of my best friends living rooms. Two was everywhere.  I was horrified. The carpet (now crapet) was thrown away.  Grubbs looked at me and then shamelessly proceeded to eat all of their dog's food.  It was a splendid evening.  I am sarcastic.  

Anyways, I share this with you as a precursor.  For over the past year Grubby has effectively waged war against the carpet in my apartment, and sad to say, it's been an absolute bloodbath.  I have a long narrow stairway inside my apartment leading down to the outside door, and he has literally nuked the thing to kingdom come.  So why am I sharing this with you?  Why am I painting on your brain canvas with pet waste?  Because I cleaned that carpet this morning.  THAT'S RIGHT.  I actually got up early, with the pure and righteous intent of killing every stain in that hallway.  

So I arose, went to the store, got multiple bottles of carpet cleaner, a couple of those air fresheners that you twist and adjust how much apple and cinnamon you want to unleash ( I unleashed it all), downed some Bux (that's Starbucks for the novice), and came back with with mindset of a Samurai warrior.  The stains, the odor, the dirt, the grime... it was all going to die.  And it did, big time.  I'm not saying that I didn't take some shots on the chin along the way, but that junk suffered.  There were a few times that I gagged from the stench as I was inches away from the surface.  It's hard work scrubbing pure evil out of a carpet.  

As I was kneeling there scrubbing, apart from the pockets of Grubby-resentment that occasionally bubbled up to the surface of my soul, I experienced an incredibly sweet moment with my Savior.  It was almost like the Spirit whispered: "Even though you were covered with everything evil and disgusting, I wasn't afraid of your stains.  I wasn't repulsed by your stench.  Though your sins were as scarlet I washed them white as snow.  You are mine and I love you."  Needless to say, I wasn't expecting that as I was cleaning the carpet this morning.  I would love to come to a place where I do expect it.  He continues to prove over and over again that He is good. He is love.  He is peace. He has washed me clean.  Praise God for His unfathomable grace.      

No comments:

Post a Comment