Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The New Songs We Sing

"God you are my God and I will ever praise you.  I will seek you in the morning, and learn to walk in your ways.  Step by step you'll lead me, and I will follow you all of my days."-- Rich Mullins

As far as I can remember, this was the first non-hymn I ever sang in a congregational setting.  I can clearly recall this for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it was the first song I had ever sang corporately that didn't begin with the pipe organ and the Minister of Music instructing me to find it in the hymnal.  Second of all, I remember feeling something as I heard it.  The feeling was unique and strange in that context.  The best way I know how describe the feeling is to equate it with taking a shower after mowing the lawn, or brushing my teeth after eating something with onions in it.  But to a much greater degree, of course.   It was simply refreshing.  Yeah that's a good way to put it.      

I have always loved singing and singing hymns was no different.  But as I stood there and listened to the melody and the words to Mullins'  "Sometimes by Step",  I was utterly captivated by it.  It was written in the way that I would speak it, (which is quite a departure from 'Great is Thy Faithfulness') and was sung in a way that was so creative, intimate and expressive.  It planted a seed within me that would ultimately grow into a deep affection for modern worship music.

Much to my delight, this generation has seen an outright explosion of creative expression in the church especially in the corporate worship arena. Artists and Worship Leaders have come face to face with seemingly endless and unprecedented avenues to create and distribute music.  Churches have access to resources that allow them to write, record, publish, and distribute songs from their own congregations and share them with literally anyone who has internet access.  There also seems to be a vibrant heartbeat among the Worship Leaders in this generation to write songs that will lead God's people into deeper and more passionate worship of Him.   These are truly amazing times we live in.

My prayer is that as a Worship Pastor I would cling to the Word of Truth for inspiration in my writing.  That I would be steadfast in my pursuit of the incorporation of teaching sound theology and doctrine. And that I would use my creativity to stir up passion, wonder, and awe of our incredible God.

No comments:

Post a Comment