Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thundering Thoughts (2 AM Edition)

It's 2:24 am and I'm wide awake. I woke up about an hour ago to a deafening and an outright frightening thunderstorm. Thunderstorms have always been a paradoxical experience for me.

I love the experience of rain. The sheer beauty of it is one of my favorite things ever. I love the soothing sound of the drops hitting the roof. The smell of the air and the refreshment that it brings as it washes and waters everything it comes in contact with. I love the symbolic connection of rain and the Holy Spirit. Even now as I'm watching the rain pelt my truck from my window, I'm asking God to rain down His presence and power over my heart and mind. I also love playing in the rain. There's something about the entire experience that is exciting, unpredictable, and captivating. I also enjoy watching the lightning. Tonight it's ripping across the sky every few minutes, shattering the darkness with it's brilliance and then vanishing just as instantly as it appears. I heart it.

Thunder is a different story. Thunder absolutely terrifies me. The hair on my neck stands up. I get goosebumps, and I'm not talking about the 'I just kissed a girl and I liked it' kind either. What's a blog post without a Katy Perry reference, am I right? The goosebumps that I'm referring to are the kind you get when you're about to get into a fight, or pulled over by the police, or sent to the principal's office. Or looking over the ledge of any platform higher than 10 feet. I don't do the heights thing very well... at all. Maybe thunder scares me so much because of the connotation that thunderstorms have always had in movies. It seems like something shady or scary is always going down during a thunderstorm. Animated movies are the worst. Remember the scene in 'Lady and the Tramp' where the Tramp fights the rat? That junk still makes me wet myself. Or what about the storm scenes in the 'Secret of NIMH'? Maybe my problem isn't with thunder but with rats. Stupid thunder rats.

Anyhoo, good night...err, morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment