Friday, February 19, 2010

Kids

I was a weird kid. I still am weird actually. My mom always likes to remind me of how easily entertained I was as a child, and how I have such a vivid imagination. I remember as a child spending multiple hours in my room by myself, having the world's most elaborate fighting tournaments between the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and Dino-Riders. (anybody remember Dino Riders?? They were Dinosaurs that we're used much like horses in battle except A. They were Dinosaurs B. They had spiky armor with missiles attached C. Did I mention they were Dinosaurs? What a genius toy idea!) I had a chalkboard in my room and would keep score of the win's and losses, make prizes for the winners, and give each figurine a distinct voice as I used them in battle. My mom used to say that it would sound like there were 5 kids in there with me. I was completely content being alone with nothing but my brain. (and a butt load of toys)

Anyways, I was thinking about that this morning and wondered if kids are still like that. I'm not married, and don't have kids yet (what If I said I did? jk Mom) but I would like to think that there are still kids who can entertain themselves, kids who can dream, kids who have vivid imaginations. And that this age of info, image, and media overload hasn't gotten the best of them. I hope that there are still kids who can have original ideas, think for themselves and learn to create from their God-given personalities and talents and not just consume everything the world bombards them with daily. It scares me that I don't see as many kids playing outside anymore. Maybe it's just in the neighborhoods I've been living in that this isn't happening. I hope so. Just some thoughts on a Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment